Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Street Called Straight

 When I began exploring the idea of visititng Syria, one of the things I dreamed about was visiting Straight Street in Damascus one of the oldest streets on the planet.

I imagined an ancient arabic market and a dirt lined street, a chaotic cacaphony, echoing  through the ages, an homage to timeless ways.

Instead I find a chic hipster dufus neighbourhood. This is prime real estate, and a place of modern retail commerce, encased in magnificent architecture. And again I am taken by how similar it all is, the deep familiarity with my own experience, despite the spectacular backdrop.



By all means, one should visit Straight Street, if only to see the arches and pillars, and to feel those Antediluvian cobblestones underfoot,  but the rest of it is pure dog 'n pony for tourists and the wealthy.


http://www.goyestoeverything.com



Enhanced by Zemanta