Thursday, April 28, 2011

Bringing It (M)all Back Home

Eaton CentreImage by Christopher Chan via Flickr



In 1982, at the age of seventeen I arrived in Toronto.

I was most taken by the magnificent architecture, notably The Eaton Centre, still one of the most beautiful and underated buildings in the city. Decades later, I read an article about the origin of the design of The Eaton Centre, and how its roof was inspired by the ancient souk in Damascus.

And now, all these years later, I am in that ancient Damascus souk, shopping on the shoulders of giants. At once awesome and inconceivable.





And suddenly a long way from home seems just around the corner, and I'm overwhelmed by the revelation that our commonality is so vast, and our Gap(s) so (s)mall.

http://www.goyestoeverything.com
Enhanced by Zemanta