Thursday, July 14, 2011

Tourist V. Traveler



Traveler tip number 16- "You may be tired, you may be getting cheap, and you are sick of all the little irritations that you now feel that you have put up with since day one. You're sick of packing and unpacking. You're sick of plane tickets and taxi's and presenting documents and filling out forms, and going back from whence you came does little to recall the feeling of inspiration you felt on the way in. This is the point at which the inner traveler fights the inner tourist.

My inner tourist wants to quit like a beat up boxer, but my inner traveler is like a good corner man, urging me on. "Don't quit now, kid!"

My legs ache from endless walking, climbing, and trodding over cobblestoned hill and sandy dale, my arms fatigued from lugging luggage, and my grey matter greyer from gazing at guidebooks.

But ya gotta listen to your corner man and press on.  The traveler knows that the last day can be as compelling as any other, while the tourist whines about being tired.

It is time to reach down deep, and understand that it is unlikely that I will never have the opportunity to do this again.

Then it occurs to me that I need to learn to approach my entire life in the same fashion.
 
Don't be a tourist, be a traveler, strive to not waste a single moment. It is all a gift, whether you are on the road or not.

http://www.goyestoeverything.com